The telecommunications regulator (ACMA) introduced a Do Not Call register for telemarketers on 31 May 2007.
Market research is not subject to the Do Not Call register. However from May 31, 2007 ACMA introduced new Calling Standards governing the hours in which both telemarketers and market researchers can call. These hours differ slightly.
Under the standard, telemarketers must not make or attempt to make a call on:
- Saturday before 9am or after 5pm
- a Sunday or national public holidays
- a weekday before 9am or after 8pm
Under the standard, researchers must not make or attempt to make a call on:
- Saturday and Sunday before 9am or after 5pm
- a weekday before 9am or after 8.30pm
For further information regarding the Do Not Call register to go to the Do Not Call website.